Thursday, 16 February 2017

First progress after a busy time

Latest Progress

I've been busy with exams for the last couple of weeks, so had not gotten any work done for a long time. Now I was finally able to pick my project back up. The last thing I had done was having a look at Roassal, to create a first, graph-based visualization of the ScientificCommunity object (which is the object that holds all the papers and authors, and will most likely hold the citations, in the future. I had been able show all papers as squares and all authors as dots, with appropriate labels popping up when hovering over any object. However, I've had problems with creating edges. Today, I finally managed to get that working as well.

Next Steps

The next thing will be to tidy up my project, and do a short analysis of what works and what doesn't. Then I want to continue with the current visualization, and maybe even come up with a second one. Another important task will be to add the citations to the ScientificCommunity and include them in the existing visualization(s). Apart from that, I need to create a short "how to" for my project's current features. This might not be a substitute for a comprehensive manual, but should be enough to get people started.

Likely Challenges

Even though I've managed to create a first visualizations, I still can't say I'm fully comfortable with Roassal yet. I might have to spend some more time on Roassal tutorials, especially to get an idea of its full potential. Apart from that, the biggest challenge seems to be to include the citations. The only way to link a paper citation to the actual paper model seems to be by using the paper title. However, the extraction isn't perfect. I believe it's very likely that some cited paper titles will differ from the actual title. I'll have to see if that's actually the case, and, if yes, how bad it really is, and whether or not there is a way to solve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment